It's About Juggling...
Which often leads to Forgetting About Your Needs
Ladies, let us talk about juggling today, shall we?
Today I am going to try and introduce or re-introduce a Common-Sense Solution for Women, if there is such a thing.
You know that, as women, we often find ourselves caught in the relentless cycle of juggling multiple responsibilities and obligations. From managing careers to taking care of families, maintaining relationships, and fulfilling societal expectations, it's easy to get lost in the chaos and forget about our own needs. This is even worse because of the emotions involved in this juggling festival. Very often not only do we juggle all these things, we then often face feelings of guilt, shame, regret if we do not fulfill all of those to our own highest standards. Thus, I will try to shed light on this common struggle and offer practical solutions for women to prioritize themselves amidst the juggling act of life in a way that may be common-sense and still requires a reminder from time to time (at least I need one every-so-often).
Recognizing the Neglect
It's not uncommon for women to put their needs on the backburner while striving to excel in various roles, juggling all the demands in the world and shouldering even more than we thought we could handle. In the pursuit of perfection and meeting those expectations placed upon us – often by us - self-care tends to take a backseat. Neglecting our physical, mental, and emotional well-being can lead to burnout, decreased self-worth, and a loss of personal identity. This means that at some point we no longer know who we are or why we are here. Have you been there?
The Importance of Self-Care
Self-care is not a luxury but a necessity for maintaining a healthy and balanced life. By taking care of ourselves, we become better equipped to handle the demands we face daily. Prioritizing self-care allows us to recharge, reduce stress, and enhance our overall well-being. This, by the way, does not mean that you follow some kind of idea of what “balance” means to someone or adopt that definition. You still need to define what balance means to you. Remember that we all are different and thus balance and health may mean something different to you than to anyone else you know. Guess what? That’s ok! Self-Care is about YOU and no one else!
1. Establish Boundaries: Setting boundaries is crucial for maintaining your balance in life. Learn to say no when your plate is already full and communicate your limitations to others. Remember, it's okay to put yourself first and make your well-being a priority.
2. Practice Self-Awareness: Take time to reflect on your needs and desires. Pay attention to how you feel physically, emotionally, and mentally. Tune in to the warning signs of burnout and exhaustion. By being aware of your needs, you can take proactive steps to address them.
3. Carve Out Me-Time: Schedule regular "ME-Time" in your calendar. It doesn't have to be extravagant or time-consuming; even a few minutes each day can make a difference. Use this time to engage in activities that bring you joy, such as reading, taking a walk, practicing mindfulness, or pursuing a hobby. When you schedule your “ME-Time” be sure to share it with your family, friends, loved ones in a loving way and to NOT compromise on it. It takes YOU to make sure you schedule, take, get, and enjoy your ”ME-Time”. This is YOUR responsibility.
4. Delegate and Seek Support: Remember that you don't have to do it all alone. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to family members, friends, or colleagues. Seek support from your support network and communicate your needs openly. Remember, asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
5. Let Go of Perfectionism: Striving for perfection is an endless pursuit that can be mentally and emotionally draining. Embrace the idea that it's okay to be imperfect. Allow yourself to make mistakes and learn from them. Celebrate your achievements, no matter how small they may seem. Here I’d like to add that the word “mistake” itself can be “mis-take” and if you think about story-telling, especially in movie story-telling we have a lot of “takes.” . We have “Take 1” , then “Take 2”, and more and more and more until we think there is a “Take” that we feel and BE ok with.
6. Prioritize Health and Wellness: Make your physical and mental health a priority.
Ensure you're getting enough sleep, eating nutritious meals, and engaging in regular exercise.
Consider incorporating mindfulness practices or meditation into your routine to reduce stress and promote overall well-being; whatever that well-being may mean to you.
What does this all mean?
Juggling multiple demands (real and unreal) while forgetting about our own needs is a common struggle for women. However, by adopting some of the above solutions or similar ones, and making self-care a priority, you can reclaim YOUR balance in our lives. Remember, self-care is not selfish but necessary for our well-being and ability to fulfill our various roles “ME-Time”-time, seeking support, letting go of perfectionism, and prioritizing health and wellness, we can navigate the juggling act of life while also nurturing our own needs and desires.
The only question left is: what are you going to do? What is YOUR choice for YOUR life?
If you need help deciding please find a good mentor to help you make the best decision for YOU and your loved ones.
Submitted from experience by Dr. Natalie Forest "Revolutionary Rule Breaker"